Originally built as a Higher Elementary School in 1909
The Centre is situated in Hoyle Road, Hoylake and was originally built as a Higher Elementary School in 1909 and opened for educational purposes in January 1910. The site is next to the seafront road, North Parade, which in later years provided the school its better known name- ‘The Parade School’. Some 80 years later in 1988, the school was closed and the buildings began to deteriorate. Whilst the main building was used for some years to house the local authority’s ‘Hoylake Youth Club’, low usage of the premises induced the authority to put it up for sale for redevelopment as private housing. However, the impending loss of yet another Hoylake amenity united the townsfolk to fight to preserve the building for the community.
In 1992, a Steering Committee was formed and its members set out to establish the Centre as a focus for community life and activity in the local area. It also created a constitution and formulated a Joint Management agreement for the center (the first in Wirral). In February 1993, at Wallasey Town Hall, a formal Joint Management agreement was signed on behalf of the JMC and the local authority granting the JMC a 25 year lease on the buildings. The agreement enables the committee to manage the Centre on a day-to-day basis. During that year charitable status was also obtained.
The premises have now been transformed into a thriving, bustling Community Centre. A dedicated team of volunteers (including members of the original Steering Committee) run the Centre. With vision backed up with hard work, the center has turned from an abandoned derelict school to the valuable, all-purpose Centre that the local and wider community enjoy today.